Affiliate Marketing is one of the oldest forms of marketing. It is a type of performance-based advertising in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each customer brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts. For eg., If you refer someone to buy any online product and when that person buys the product based on your recommendation, you receive a commission.
The merchant company is using a tracking URL (a unique link given to the affiliate company by the merchant company) to track all the traffic and sales taking place in the affiliate’s site.
Some must have features of a good affiliate marketing are
- There should be a proper payment method for the affiliates to get their commission like PayPal or Clickbank etc.
- There should be a proper link for each product for which you are affiliating. ie., When the customer click to the link it should lead to the sales page, not the home page of the site. Then only they will make the sales.
- Discount coupons are one of the best ways to promote your sales. Most of the affiliate programs are offering discount coupons for their affiliates. Some companies offer an option to create custom coupon codes also. This will help an affiliate to create their own branded discount coupon codes so that they can promote their particular affiliate brand also.
- If you are a part of an affiliate program then you have to make arrangements with your merchant company to make sure that you get all email updates of the offers and subscriptions. Then only you can catch up with the updated sales.
- Make sure that you are choosing the right affiliate program which contains a proper promotional banner and links that might benefit for you. Having a full fledged affiliate panel is very important for any successful affiliate program. Apart from this, customer tracking link and affiliate manager are also important. So, a well optimized and crafted affiliate program can definitely offer a good earning.
After joining an appropriate affiliate program, you must choose a method for the promotion for your affiliate brand like Email Marketing, Blogging, Pay Per Click Marketing (PPC) etc. Usually blogging will not cost you, but for others you must afford some cost. Educational degrees are not a matter to join an affiliate program, but you should have some copy writing skills and marketing skills.